Thursday 8 October 2009

Book that changed your life

So, there's my first project picked: http://www.scottishbooktrust.com/the-book-that-changed-my-life-viral-video-competition time to get started.

I think I'm going to do The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-exupery. It was either that or Pollyanna, which is just too twee for words. The Little Prince fascinated me because I read it in sixth form, just before leaving to enter the Bigwideworld and I wasn't quite sure what it was meant to be: Children's sci-fi fairty story, or a commentary on the plight of modern society, who knew? :) It was a great book to read at that point, because I felt very much like the Little Prince. He's just a child -idealistic, good hearted and uncomplicated, but with very little knowledge of the 'real world'- who leaves his home and explores what all the adults are doing. Some are chasing money, some are focused on their jobs and being busy, others are obsessed with power, but in the end he finds the best way to live is to look past all these things and see people as they are
"It is only with the heart we can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye." and ultimately not to fear failure or even death.
It was a great message to hear before I also left to go into higher education, to remember that some things will always be more important than anything else, power or money or working myself silly (sorry tutors!)

On that note, let's go start this project...

No comments:

Post a Comment