Monday 12 October 2009

Book that changed my life


Eagle Nebula

Currently researching the little prince's journey through space and what that might look like for him. What is that really like to travel through space? So I'm having my mind blown over and over every ten minutes with photos of nebulae and weird diagrams of the solar system. I was reading something about a series called 'Cosmos', with Carl Sagan, and somehow ended up seeing this.



Just the ideas he's talking about amaze me.

I also thought of some Disney (rather inevitably *rolls eyes*)



My favourite scene in the whole film, because of the way the images and music combine. They depict this vast emptiness of space but at the same time it's really beautiful, and also very playful (the solar-charging panels!) Same musical pattern, basic underscoring chords and a 'tinkly' bit when he enters space, nice and simple. I love Thomas Newman's music, he does manages to put this amazing bitter-sweet edge onto things. Like 'It's a shame this can't last, but in the meantime, isn't it lovely?"
Also, Disney's 'Treasure Planet', but I don't think you need to see that one too :) I liked the idea of combining space travel with nautical navigation, and everything becoming a little bit JulesVerne-esque, with charts and sextants and things but that's not quite right for the Little Prince either. Nice imagery though. (Great film though, more what they should be making, rather than crummy sequals for flippin' 'Brother Bear'. Was NOT impressed when I heard about that)

I was actually thinking when I was watching all this, and what I was thinking was that I don't think this is space as it is for the little prince. I think his version of outer space is a lot more local, no more than a day's travel between planets. Because he talks about listening to stars laughing and being good friends with the sun on his planet, which gives the impressions that things are more like they are in the kids show Tiny Planets- if you have a mind to travel (and a large trebuchet) you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment