Monday 12 October 2009

Book the changed my life

This is fast becoming a space-based video dump. But then, that was the idea, and I can't leave this little gem out.



Oh yes, it's the Clangers! I used to love this show so much when I was a kid, I went round the house whistling in Clanger-talk. Their idea of space is much more local than some of these big movies. There aren't too many nearby planets, but there's always a nearby SOMETHING. Stuff is always floating around, interesting shapes and objects, things land on the planet often, and they can make short day trips if they want to. This seems more like the environment the prince lives in, with objects and things passing him from time to time so he's not bored, but not many other people about unless you go looking for them

Again thinking about pacing, the intro shocked me when I timed it. The first shot lasts for 22 seconds, that's half of what my outcome has to be!! And he just talks! The camera pans left to right, and the narrator just narrates, and nothing else happens. And then the second shot is just the planet itself, nothing else happens, and that lasts a further 18 seconds! I guess it just shows what you can do with a few simple camera motions, and a minimal amount of movement. In that respect it reminds me of a lot of opening and end credits for anime (non-sci fi/fantasy). The newer ones (last 5 years) are pretty fast-paced too, but ny older than that tend to put the credits at the beginning, and will fill the time up with a few shots of the different characters, often not moving too much. The camera may pan so that the character moves in relation to the background, and maybe their hair will blow, or they will change facial expression, but that's it. Yet this is still effective at holding attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment